Sunday, February 7, 2010

Noisy Living and Being Still

It took me all weekend, but I finally found some time to stay still.

But to be honest, the way to be still found me.

Tonight, I attended the Compline Service at St. Mark's Cathedral in Seattle. I can't even describe this delightful experience. The Compline Choir was amazing. It was beautiful. It was moving.

And for a half an hour, I was still. I was at rest. I was with my God. I just...was.

I am amazed at the beauty that can be evoked by music. The moment was so peaceful; quiet. And in that short time, I was overwhelmed by God's love. As I write this, I realize that my heart can't contain this kind of love.

These are the kind of moments that you wish would last forever.

When I left St. Mark's, I was confronted by how noisy my life has become. I couldn't even stand to have the radio on during my drive home. I didn't want the peaceful moment to end. But I knew that soon enough, my life would be filled by demanding distractions, urgent matters, constant thoughts, and compounding responsibilities.

It would be foolish to try to make this singular moment last forever. I experienced the goodness of being still, of being in the presence of His peace, of being overcome by God's love. It may take some time to learn how to push the noise of my life away on a regular basis and to find those moments to stay still before God. But after this experience of rest, I am finding that the choice to be still with God is one that is always worth making.

Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
--David, Psalm 46:10

The Compline Choir sings on Sunday evenings at 9:30 at St. Mark's Cathedral in Seattle. You may also hear the service live on King FM (98.1 FM).

No comments: