Monday, July 25, 2011

The Annual Post About Writing for Sports Camp

Last year, I was informed that every time I write for Sports Camp, I come away with the same lesson.

This year's skit was no exception. The only difference is, this is the first skit that my main protagonist didn't struggle with an identity crisis that would be resolved within two acts. But true to form, I over-identified with the script. My deuteragonist, Gracie, was paralyzed by fear of failure and disappointing others.

Poor Gracie.

I understand that the nuances of the script will go unnoticed in the shadow of the superhero, Super Summer, and the crazy (dare I say, silly?) antics of his nemesis and his minions. But I still pray that God will use the Sports Camp Drama team and the script to reach to the children participating in Sport Camp.

Every year, I look forward to this week long event. I don't play sports very well and understand little of how to play organized sports. However, it is a blessing to offer the little creativity I have and share it with a group of extremely talented students. I find a certain joyous fulfillment in writing for the Sport Camp Drama Team and working with these talented kids. They amaze me every year with their acting skills and infectious energy. I am not a funny person, and I am definitely not a comedic writer. I'm the dramatic and broody one. However, in the hands of these students (and some very wonderful adults!), the skits are funny, light-hearted, and entertaining.

Working with them throughout the month reminds me of the great days of rehearsals for both drama club and choir. In high school, I lived for choir and drama rehearsals and performances. I don't sing very well and I can't act, but I often found more joy in the backstage work and the process of learning songs than in the actual performances. And throughout the month of July, I get to rekindle that love for the stage with a group of kids.

This year's Sports Camp Drama Team is exceptional. I'm praying for this team; that God will use them in a mighty way. I hope they see this time together as a blessing as much as I have. We have a long week ahead of us, and I know their hard work will pay off. Whatever happens, I hope they will just have fun. And I pray that God will delight in the joy they have in working together.

If I could write for and work with this drama team every day of my life, I would be a happy girl.

No comments: