Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Discovering Beauty at Four in the Morning

This story is about a deer.


A few weeks ago, I woke up at 4 am (don't ask). I walked out of my apartment and heard a rustling noise.


My first instinct when faced with danger is always to freeze. I realize that this doesn't always bode well for me, because that means in face of danger, I'll be the first one to die. I will not survive the zombie apocalypse. Sigh. Someone always has to take one for the team.


At any rate, I descended down the stairs, and before my foot hit the parking lot pavement, a deer stepped out of the shadows.


She was beautiful.


I watched her, taken in by her deep, fathomless eyes. She stared at me before she turned to the uncertain path ahead of her. Her hoofs clicked musically against the pavement as she galloped across the parking lot to reach the haven of forest in the corner of the apartment complex.


I remained there, for a moment, no longer caring that it was 4 in the morning, but thankful that I was able to encounter that stolen moment of beauty. I pondered on how she got lost and if she will be able to make it back safely. I hoped she will. But I will remember her and the beauty she offered me this morning.


I hope that I have that kind of beauty to offer the world.


And I pray that all of you encounter beautiful moments this week--even at 4 in the morning.

No comments: