Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pondering on Freedom

I realize that on this Fourth of July, I have not written about politics in awhile.

No worries, this isn't going to be a political blog.

However, I will ponder on the freedom that our American forefathers dreamed about when they declared our nation's independence by signing a piece of paper. Truly, words alone don't make one free, and I am grateful to those who put those thoughts to inspire action in others, and even more grateful to those who gave their lives to preserve a way of life that they themselves would not enjoy.

Whether it was bought by thoughts expressed by ink upon paper, voices that inspire a movement or blood spilled on the ground, freedom comes with a cost.

As I write this, I realize there those who are not able to express their own thoughts. I realize that I am a single woman, and if I had lived somewhere, I may be forced to live a different kind of life because of my social status. I realize that there are places where I would not be allowed to speak, to become educated, to own property, to vote, to form an identity that is not attached to someone else, to worship God, or to have any of the freedoms that I take for granted on a regular basis.

And even if it only comes once a year, I find that it is good to remember the freedoms we enjoy, and to remember those who got us here.

Happy Independence Day, America. May we never take our freedom for granted.

No comments: