Sunday, June 28, 2009

Someday

Ooh-oo child, things are gonna get easier. Ooh-oo child, things'll be brighter. Right now you just wait and see how things are gonna be.
--The Five Stairsteps, "Ooh, Child"

It's funny how songs can stick with you.

I have this memory of when I heard this song for the first time. I was about eight years old, playing around with my grandfather's sound system (Shh...don't tell him. I'm under the impression that he doesn't know that I had broken it.) I was arbitrarily pushing buttons and moving the sliders up and down along the board in my curious attempt to figure out how to listen to a record. (Oh, vinyl records, where have you gone?)

I came across a radio station instead and this song came on. And for some reason, it just stuck with me. And for those of you who know what happened to me when I was eight, you can probably understand why.

My experience these past two weeks can be characterized by disappointment and uncertainty of the unknown. Many changes are probable in the horizon, but they haven't happened yet. And the things that are happening are just breaking my heart.

I'm not sure if I can chalk this up to being emotionally exhausted or if God was trying to bring up a memory to inspire me to persevere, but I was in the car a few days ago when this song came on the radio. I was overcome with sorrow and joy. I was a mess of tears and laughter. And in the end, I was confident that I will be fine.

Just you wait and see.

No comments: