Thursday, June 17, 2010

Losing My Voice

In looking over this blog, I wonder: didn't I use to write better than this? No--scratch that--didn't I used to write more than this?

Somewhere along the way, I found that I had lost my ability to write anything that doesn't sound like one of the hundreds of e-mails that I compose on a weekly basis. I am already unable to speak on the phone in a casual manner: I can't stop myself from slipping into my professional business voice and leaving voicemail messages with my work's tagline.

I don't see myself as a writer any more than I see myself as a musician. However, I must admit that I love writing and I miss having this outlet. Sadly, like with most things as of late, writing is on the long list of things I ran away from because it got too hard.

So the questions remain: will I always run from the things I love? Will I ever have the courage to rise above the criticisms and keep enjoying the things I love to do?
Will I ever take a risk?

2 comments:

Sara Sandefur said...

Why do you think it got hard? Is it because the things you needed to write about are hard, or because the writing itself is hard, or because your fears about people's reactions are hard?

I stopped writing in February, and I haven't been able to write again for a million different reasons, but I'm hoping to try again soon.

Abby said...

I love that you know me. It's probably a combination of all three, but the biggest factor was that it got too hard because the things I needed to write about were hard. :D

I hope you try soon.