Monday, July 5, 2010

A Moment to Breathe

This 4th of July, I did my usual fare: I read the Declaration of Independence and pondered what it meant to be a citizen.

And then, the whirlwind that is the Independence Day Celebration commenced. Church, BBQ, hanging out with friends. This year, I opted to go to my friend Erin's parent's house on Fox Island and spend the 4th of July on the beach.

It was windy, cold, dreary and fantastic. I don't think I'll ever get the campfire smell out of my hair.

But my favorite moment of the entire weekend came the day after. I returned to Fox Island to have breakfast at the same beach.

It was near perfection. A sunny morning. The sound of the water upon the shore. Breakfast near the fire pit. Friends sitting around talking and enjoying each other's presence. A fantastic cup of coffee.

I think there was even a seal named Barney and his mother, Cecilia.

At one point, with a warm cup of coffee in my hands, I felt peace amid the comfortable silence in the presence of my friends.

I took a deep breath and it was beautiful.

No comments: