Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Game on!

Ok. So I've written a book. Now what?

The first comment I get is of the I-didn't-know-you-were-a-writer variety. My usual answer is a blushing reply of I-didn't-know-either. I get a few laughs and the subsequent conversation consists of two questions:

1. When can I read it?
2. What are you going to do with it now?

The first question is answered with a shrug and a sly smile that I usually can get away with, depending on the person. The second one is a little trickier.

Writing, as I may have eluded to before, is like a relationship. It's not just personal. It's very personal. And to put it out there is a risk that I am not always ready to take. Yes, I have thought of it. Questions like what if I'm not a writer? and can I handle the inevitable first rejection? arise, squelching any courage I was able to muster. I'd read other writings and I'd think either Man, they're really good. I can never do this or Yeah, Baby! I can do this. I can TOTALLY do this.

So here I am. I'm going through one of what will be many drafts, and I am thinking to myself...why am I doing this? For my own pleasure, to know that I can write an entire book from start to finish? Or am I going to put this out there for others to see?

I don't know if it will work, but I'm going for it. Research, editing, risking rejection, searching for acceptance.

Game on. Let's go.

Currently reading : Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing By Les Edgerton

No comments: