Sunday, May 4, 2008

Strangers


There are a few things that make me happy. One, of course, is David Duchovny. And on this short list is my grandfather.

A couple weeks ago, my grandparents visited the Philippines. They make a trip every once in awhile, but due to their health issues, this trip was shorter than usual.

While Grandpa was making dinner, he told me how Manila changed. Imagine putting the entire population of Washington and Oregon in the area the size of Seattle and the "greater Seattle" area, and you have Manila. 12 Million people...in itty, bitty, living space.

However, my grandpa's one observation was, although not unique, still profoundly sad. "I am a stranger in my own home," he said simply, his eyes glazed with a thought of a memory that will never grow old for him. He hardly recognized anything, anyplace, anyone. The world that had birthed him was now a foreign land.

Again, not a new concept, but still an one worth considering.

I thought about how awful it would be to go back to the place that was once so familiar and know that you no longer belonged. I could not imagine my hometown changing so much beyond recognition. I could not imagine what it would be like to finally realize that you can no longer keep up with the constantly changing world.

The effects of being old, I suppose.

However, as my grandfather laughed away his comment, I felt more endeared to him. We exchanged comfortable smiles and joked about some inane thing on the news channel.

The effects of being vulnerable, I suppose.

No comments: