Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reading is Good For You

During my time off work (and everything else) I like to read.

Yesterday, I finished Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. And now I'm ruined. My mind is completely ruined with all these new thoughts that I'm testing and finding out if it is true. And I love it. I love reading books that make me think and wonder and ponder and consider and test and enjoy and feel. I even like the books that frustrate me. I also love the books that I end up throwing across the room.

Sidenote: Attempt to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It's not about Zen (although it's in there) and motorcycle maintenance (although it's in there, too). Technically, it's a book about philosophy. It will frustrate you. But if you can read it; read it for the narrator's journey. It is one of the rare books that once I finished it, I immediately wanted to re-read it to find out what I had missed.

Ok. Back to my story.

And so, this is what is currently messing with my mind:

I found out how much of my efforts were about earning something I already have...Notice how many places in the accounts of Jesus' life he gets furstrated with his disciples. Because they are incapable? No, because of how capable they are. He sees what they could be and could do and when they fall short it provokes him to no end. It isn't their failure that's the problem, it's their greatness. They don't realize what they are capable of...God has an incredibly high view of people. God believes that people are capable of amazing things...the rabbi thinks we can be like him...The issue then isn't my beating myself up over all the things I am not doing or the things I am doing poorly; the issue is my learning who this person is who God keeps insisting I already am.
--Rob Bell, "Velvet Elvis."

This messes with me; this concept that I am already the more than what I have become. God already knows who he created me to be, even if I don't see it or believe it. He sees it. I only see flaws, but God sees so much more than that. To him, through the blood of Christ, he only sees beauty.

All beautiful you are, my Darling, there is no flaw in you.
--The Lover, Song of Songs 4:7


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
--Paul, 2 Corinthians 5:17


How does this new life happen? How do I stop looking at the flaws and live that abundant life that he knows I can live? How do I live with such grace?

Sometimes my heart is overwhelmed by this grace that I can't comprehend nor contain it. And all that I have to express my gratitude could only be squeezed out in tears of joy and silent awe.

Books are you friends. Reading is good for you.
--Mr. Trampe

No comments: