Monday, August 3, 2009

Thoughts on Thinking

Who knows where thoughts come from--they just appear.
--Lucas, "Empire Records"

This week, I'm supposed to take some time and think.

Yes, I think a lot about a lot of things. And it's not always at different times. At any given moment, I'm thinking about many things at the same time.

But quite honestly, most of my thinking is sporadic at best and unfocused. I think about something, mull over how difficult it seems, and then move on to the next thing that pops into my head. My mind is constantly on, but I don't do a whole lot with the thoughts that appear. I've got too much to do to spend the time to think something through.

I react more than I respond.

Like I said, this week, I'm supposed to take some time to think...and not worry. To meditate and not troubleshoot. To listen and not react. To focus and not be distracted.

This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

No comments: