Friday, August 21, 2009

A Little Help

I've been sick the past few days...and so, here's another list.

1. Decorating Cakes. My friend Janet taught me how to decorate a cake using fondant. I'm not cut out for the bakery, but hanging out with her and doing something creative was definitely worth the time. She's a great teacher and a wonderful mother, and one of the best people I know. I'm honored to be her friend.

2. The West Wing. Welcome back, Josh Lyman and Toby Ziegler. I've been watching episodes of The West Wing in preparation for my trip to DC. Sure, the government and ideals are romanticized, but I don't care. It makes me believe in a best of people in a better world, even if we can't create that here. We've all lost our scripts, apparently.

3. Evelyn Joy and Asher. These kids make my day. Sure my name is one of the easiest ones to pronounce for babies, but I love that that they love me for me. They don't know that I play piano, live in the Coffee Shop, answer e-mails for a living, watch LOST, battle insomnia, have family issues, have relationship issues, have an obsession with decorating cakes, want to be a writer, want to teach music, want to have a family, or that I am fascinated with doing puzzles, super-sensitive, frustrated with life and supremely afraid to fail.

All they know is that my name belongs to my face...and it's enough. It's amazing how children can show you the love of God.

4. Late night conversations. Lately, I've had some wonderful conversations with some of the most beautiful people I know. Some of those conversations happened around a campfire. But I do know that I can't make it through this season without them. Most of the time, in my darkest of brooding hours, I believe I have no support. They remind me that I do. I have awesome friends.

I've wanted to give up so many times. But there are enough people that remind me that I can't give up trying to become who I am supposed to be.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
--Paul, Galatians 6:9

2 comments:

Kristin said...

5. Minnesota. We love it.

Abby said...

Obviously! Oh Mr. Gale...