Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mulders and Good Sams

No...this isn't about the FBI/J. Edgar Hoover Building, X-Files, or David Duchovny.

Since our trip to DC was brief, my sister, her husband, my mother and I decided to concentrate on the places we did not want to miss on our trip in DC.

My sister's pick was the Holocaust Museum.

I'm not sure I have the words to fully describe how I felt about that experience, but needless to say, I was moved. Heartbroken. Inspired.

Continuing my fascination with heroes and those who try, I was deeply affected in the section dedicated to those who helped those who were persecuted during this horrific time in our world's history. There was a white wall with the names of those who took the risk to help. A few of those names had stories attached to them. One was dedicated to Oskar Schindler. Another story was of The Mulder Family.

The Mulder Family was religiously devoted. Many religions in the Mulder's time taught prejudices against the Jews. However, the Mulders also knew that what Hilter and the Nazis were doing was wrong. Upon that conviction, they helped many Jews hide and escape. And when asked if they would do it again, they stated that despite their religious convictions that taught them to hate a specific group of people, they would help those who were being persecuted because it is right.

At chapel at work this week, the focus was on the Good Samaritan story. Jesus's story was incendiary--a Samaritan (a group despised by the Jews in Jesus's time) was not only the hero of the story, but one that Jesus had asked us to "Go and do likewise." The Samaritan in this story helped someone who hated him and his people. And like the Mulder family, he helped the Jew because he knew it was right.

These two stories raised many questions for me. Could I help someone I was taught to hate? Could I help someone that was taught to hate me? Could I accept help from someone who was taught to hate me?

Could I help because I know that it is right?

The Holocaust Museum not only showed what horrible evils humans are capable of, but also highlighted the capacity for humans to do what is good. To do what is brave. To do what is right.

There are courageous heroes and Good Samaritans in this world. And I hope that I can be one of them.

No comments: