Sunday, May 10, 2009

I Blame JJ Abrams

My confession: I just watched the Star Trek movie...and enjoyed it.

Now, I will admit that the only reason why I watched the movie is because I am a LOST fan, and Kristin and Bard had an extra ticket and asked me to come. I hesitated because I had never seen a Star Trek episode in its entirety before this moment and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it.

I'm glad I was wrong.

My friend Amanda says that JJ Abrams puts crack in all of his shows. She may not be wrong, because I think one of the reasons why I enjoyed the show is because he is the man behind the curtain.

The other reason I enjoyed the movie is because I have a soft spot for heroes who don't know they're heroes. (For this, I blame Joss Whedon). I love the heroes who keep going even though they are getting beat up by someone who is stronger, smarter, and more invested in winning than they are. I love the heroes who are engaged in a war that they didn't know they were in the middle of but don't turn away because they can't ignore the new knowledge they had just attained.
I love the heroes who do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

Basically, I love the heroes who get up from the mat and keep fighting merely because they fully believe (at times foolishly) that they must win a battle they didn't know they were supposed to lose.

I don't know...I guess I am inspired by those who have the ability to ignore those who tell them they can't do something...and do it anyway. And I love it when they win.

JJ Abrams didn't make this formula up (and neither did Joss Whedon) and there isn't anything new under the sun...especially movie plotlines. But it's nice to be reminded of the heroes and the qualities we would most like to see in ourselves and in others.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good one! It's why I love Frodo and Aragorn, and The Last Battle in the Chronicles of Narnia. :-)

Kristin said...

That is one BA robot! Hahahahaha! Get it??!! It works in so many ways!!