Friday, April 2, 2010

Planner

We must be willing to be rid of the life we had planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
--Joseph Campbell

In high school, what kept me sane with my ever busy schedule (yes, some things never change) was my planner.

It kept everything--my schedule, notes, driving directions, photos, Post-its, Band-aids. My entire life seemed to be contained in that little day-time planner.

When I left high school, I stopped keeping time in a planner and trusted my memory to help me with my still ever busy schedule. As of late, I find that my memory is unable to hold of my daily itinerary. When I started to forget things, (and not just because I'm stressed) I broke down and bought a planner.

Although I understand that we have better, faster, sleeker tools to keep track of our time and to-do lists, I find it easier to have a planner that isn't on a computer. There is something about writing it down that helps me remember.

Now, I find myself in a similar dilemma that I had in high school: my life is again driven by action items and planned schedules. The lists keep getting longer and the time keep slipping away faster. Suddenly, it seems like the sum of my life is contained in these pages.

And I didn't plan on that.

No comments: