Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Firm Grip of the Corporate World

My last shift at Starbucks was Saturday night (yes, more dancing of joy!). When my alarm went off the next morning, my first thought(s) were this:

What shift do I have? What day is it? What's going on right now?

Yes. That's right. My first moments of freedom were plagued by thoughts of when I was going to work at Starbucks.

:::shaking fist in the air::: Darn you, O you corporate world!!

After I threw my alarm clock across the room in protest, I peeled my eyes open and realized two things:

1. It was Sunday. And I don't work Sunday mornings.
2. Never in my two years of working at Starbucks have I ever forgotten what day it was or when I was working.

So it was odd to me that not only were my first thoughts after I had left Starbucks were about when I was working next, but they were thoughts that I had never had while I was working there.Yes, I did my dance of joy in the shower that morning.

And no, there will be no repeat performances.

No comments: