Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Scarecrow...I'm going to miss you most of all...

Today was my last open shift! (Wahoo!! I'm doing my dance of JOY!) Technically I have one more shift to go, but today was when I would see my regular customers for the last time. One of my favorites (Iced Venti Americano David) actually followed me from my first store. We have a great customer-barista relationship consisting of poking fun of each other and commenting on the art that is the pastry case.

When he walked in, he brushed away a fake tear.

David: It's your last day.
Me: Come on, you've got to get at least one tear. Pinch your leg.
David: I tried, but I decided that it hurts.
Me: Want your usuals? [after I had already started making them.]
David: That's how you take care of me!
Me: I always do. Well...at least until Saturday.
David: [starts mock crying again.] What am I going to do now?
Me: Stop drinking coffee. Start drinking tea.

David pays for his coffees and walks up to the hand-off plane to talk to me.

Me: Happy Valentine's Day, by the way.
David: Don't tease me with your fake love and your fake holiday. You're leaving me.
Me: Technically, I'm leaving everyone.
David: But especially me.
Me: [laughing.] Especially you. [handing him his drinks.] But Scarecrow, I'm going to miss you most of all.
David: [laughs out loud for that one. Puts up his hand in protest.] It's too much. Don't speak.
Me: [still laughing.] In all seriousness. David, I have enjoyed getting to know you.
David: Abby...
Me: I'm serious. I will really miss you.
David: I will miss you. I'm proud of you, but I'll miss you. Stay out of trouble.
Me: Take care of your daughter.
David: I will. And I will sing to her the ballad of Abby and the pastry case.
Me: You better!

And he walked away, laughing at a joke I know no one else understands.

For all the craziness of the past year, its moments like these that I will miss the most.

No comments: