Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Inspiring Perspective

Here's another book report.

I just finished God's Politics, by Jim Wallis. Great book. Although there are dry parts and segments where I wonder: "did he really have to share something he had already written once before?", I found myself inspired by this man's perspective.

Despite what most people think, this book does not describes what the Right is doing wrong or what the Left fails to do and what God thinks of either of those parties. This book, as a whole, is not even anti-government. This book, for a lack for a better term, does not dwell on what Jesus would do.

So what does this book do?

Well...a lot of things. But what I like most about it is how he talks about the poor. And what I realize, more than ever, is how the poor has truly dropped out of the national debate. This is a sad state of affairs since the poor makes up a large part of America as well as the most underrepresented group in America. So what now shall we do?

Start talking. Just because the government isn't, doesn't mean we shouldn't. And you never know...as the last line of the book states:

We are the ones we are waiting for.

No comments: