Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Joy Mingled with Sorrow

Wow. I haven't written since the beginning of the month...what is wrong with me?!?

This past weekend, my friend Christie got married. I had the privilege of coordinating her wedding, and thus, got to reconnect with her family. I haven't seen her family in a long time, and I do miss them and definitely miss working with her father. (Her father was the youth pastor for a youth group I used to help lead). So, for one nostalgic week, I remembered what it was like to be in presence of a generous and lovign family like the Burkes.

On a side note, that Saturday not only did I remember what it was like to work with them, but why I had burnt out in two years. My mind is still in a whirl as to how I did for so long!

Back to my story.

The joyous occasion also gave me the opportunity to work with the Fredricks family, close friends of the Burkes. They are all great and I love every chance I get to hang out with them outside of church. Sadly, two days later, my pastor, Jon Fredricks, got into a car accident. He is fine and will have to go through a couple of surgeries and endure a long recovery. Although everyone is fine physically, I do ask for prayer for his speedy recovery and protection and healing mentally, spiritually and emotionally for the Fredricks family.

Its odd, in that very ironic way, that one moment we were laughing and enjoying our time together and the next moment, we were saddened and frightened over our hurt friend. But what is not lost on me is that both moments, over the span of only a few days, brought people together. Of course, we'd all like to have the joy and not have to experience so much sorrow, but it is in both of those kinds of moments that we realize who we want to share our lives with and how precious life is when (and because)we are together.

Please join me in prayer for our friends.

Currently listening : Garden State By Various Artists

No comments: