Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blinking Cursors, the Longshot, and the Random Ending

I don't know if it's because I'm out of practice, or because of this dry spell that has had me in a funk for the entire month of April, but I haven't written much on this blog lately.

Right now, the blinking cursor on my computer screen is mocking me and my supposed writer's block. It's been an hour since I pulled up my blog and all I've accomplished is finishing this blueberry scone and my cup of coffee. (Mmm...I might need another cup before I head to church...oh, The Coffee Shop).

Today's offering is about the underdog.

I don't follow horse races, but three people have brought up horse races in the past few days, so I figured something major was going on.

Apparently, the Kentucky Derby was on Saturday.

What I knew before today (Sunday) was that the heavy favorite had to bow out of the race. No real predictable reason, I suppose, but a huge disappointment, especially those who had already placed their bets.

This morning, I found out that the actual winner of that race was the complete underdog. And it wasn't a photo finish; the winner won by several horse lengths. Mine That Bird (who comes up with these names?) was a 50-1 longshot and surprised and delighted those who actually watched the race.

I suppose everyone loves an underdog story. They inspire and excite us, and help us believe that anything truly can happen. But this particular story amused me for reasons I can't quite explain (hence, this cursed writer's block).

Sometimes the ones that we don't pay much attention to are the ones that win in the end. And often I find that it's the random surprises that I delight in the most.

No comments: