Sunday, May 31, 2009

Beer Lahai Roi

We don't even have time to look at one another.
--Emily Webb, "Our Town"

[Hagar] gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her. "You are the God who sees me, for she said, I have no seen the One who sees me. That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi..."
--Genesis 13:14

I'm a behind-the-scenes type of person.

I enjoy the process more than the finished product. I really am only good in support. And that type of position lends itself to fears of being overlooked, ignored, or forgotten.

At the same time, I am sure that I overlooked, ignored, or forgotton someone. [Ouch.] We don't do this deliberately, but it still happens. And it still hurts others.

When do we take time to look at someone? I mean, really see them? There are many studies of what happens to a person, especially the marginalized ones, when someone stops and sees them. Their entire disposition changes. They're alive. Encouraged. Empowered. This is the power that comes when we truly see one another.

I suppose that is why I love this passage in the Bible. Hagar was a maidservant of Sarai, (later, called Sarah). Sarai had ordered Hagar to bear Abram's child because Sarai was barren. Sarai hated Hagar because she became pregnant and so she abused her. Hagar fled, wanting both her and her son to die. But the Lord heard her cries, spoke to her, and blessed her son. And she named where she met God, Beer Lahai Roi.

Now, the blessing over her son, Ishmael, doesn't top the list of blessings you hope people will speak over your children. But what Hagar took away from her meeting with God was that God sees her. And she can go on because she knows that the one who sees her loves her.

I love that God sees us. He truly sees us. It's not the flippant "Oh, there's Abby doing something over there. I trust it's going to be ok" but a deliberate affirmation of "I see her and I know who she is. And I love her."

I am not overlooked. I am not ignored. I am not forgotten. And it is in that confidence that I can continue being the behind-the-scenes girl and truly enjoy it.

I hope to take the time to be an encouragement to those who feel overlooked, ignored or forgotten. And I hope that in doing so, we can catch a glimpse of the goodness of the God who sees us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This rocks, my Abby! :-D