Friday, May 29, 2009

Lies!

You're beautiful, and I am weakened by the force of your eyes. So shine bright, and separate the truth from the lies.
--Jars of Clay, "Show You Love"


Every once in awhile, if encountering something completely insane and non sequitur, I'll randomly scream: "Lies!"

Also, I've adopted the word "lame" (from the "boys are lame" incident in the van during the Worship Conference last year...ask Traci or Mary Fredricks).

I suppose there are lies we've come to accept as truth. It doesn't matter when we started believing we are less than we are; we often make one little lie into the mantra that somehow became the master of our lives.

Lies: aka, Sneaky McSneakerson.

Ok...I'm done being silly. In the past few days, I've had a few conversations with people about lies disguised as truth. It doesn't have to be a huge lie; a lie is a lie. In my own experience, I've repeated certain lies so many times in my head that they've become my "truth." And I'm pretty confident I'm not alone in that struggle.

How does one overcome a lie? The answer seems relatively simple, but it's far from easy. How do you replace lies with truth when you're left to your own devices and that voice creeps up again, whispering, "are you really sure you believe that?"

Lies!

I may not be the only one who fights with believing a lie and trying to replace it with truth. But I can't help but imagine how wonderful life would be if we lived in the truth instead of being mastered by a lie.

Veritas vos liberabit.

No comments: