Monday, December 28, 2009

Delight in Discipline

I'm a little unfocused. I'm easily distracted. I'm waving the procrastinator's banner.

The funny thing is, I'm not on deadline.

I've been trying to dust off my writing skills and give a good attempt at the story I've been trying to write. And all I have to show for what I have accomplished in the past hour is a blinking cursor and a smattering of nonsensical words.

Here's what I'm learning about a creative life: it requires more discipline than what people expect.

When I was in high school, (the good ol' days when I used to play the piano really well. Oh, Dear Talent, how I miss thee!) I had no problem sitting at the piano, going over difficult passages numerous times just to perfect the music piece. Granted, some of those ultra-disciplined practices had to do with the limited time I had to learn a piece ("Why yes, Giles, I can definitely learn this difficult piano accompaniment for the concert tomorrow...").

I'll admit, practicing piano wasn't always a joy. It was a loathsome chore, especially during the earlier years of piano lessons. I couldn't understand how hours of Hanon exercises could help me play the breathtaking classical piano pieces I loved. But if it weren't for those years of disciplined playing, I would not be able to love the piano the way that I do now.

I used to love writing as much as I used to love playing piano. I am a extremely rusty in writing, and it doesn't come as easily as the piano. I'm not as disciplined in this avenue of expression, and therefore, I am apt to swiftly succumb to distractions.

I suppose discipline is the same with a lot of things in life, creative or otherwise. Anything of true worth requires work. However, in my experience, discipline in the things we delight in rarely ever seem like work.

No comments: