Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Half Step Away

Sometimes I just get lost.

I'll admit--I've been a bit dark and broody the past couple weeks. I've been sad, heartbroken, discouraged. I've hidden behind my busyness that I've forgotten who I am and why I do the things I do. I've failed in so many ways that I've become afraid of trying. And it's amazing how we can get lost in our misery and lose sight of the hope that will never disappoint us.

Last night, I decided to make an effort to climb out of isolation and make an effort to spend time with my friends. They were baking cookies for our church, so I decided there wouldn't be any harm in spending an hour with them. I planned not to stay very long.

Sometimes the road back is just a half step away.

Just because I had my keyboard in the trunk of my car, I agreed to an impromptu worship time. We sang the songs from the 9 AM set list, some new and old favorites, some hymns. We also learned new songs. And, of course, we sang some Christmas songs.

I've been afraid to play piano and sing as of late, but this was different. This wasn't a prepared set list or just another typical Sunday morning. This was just a group of people who love God, who love spending time with each other, singing songs that mean so much to them because it drew them closer to the God they love and worship.

It's moments like this when I am reminded of who I am and why I do the things I do. It's moments like this that spurs me to try to be more than what I've become. It's moments like this that heal my heart.

Sometimes I get lost.

And sometimes the smallest of steps can turn into a leap of faith.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't we have a wonderful Shepherd? Who knew that spending time with a bunch of other sheep could be so great? Baaaaaa! Love you.