Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Nerdiness as a hereditary gene

First of all, I just want everyone to know how cute my grandparents are. They can poke fun at each other, but whenever I catch them being affectionate and playful with one another, I am reminded of how cute they are and how I hope to have that kind of marriage when I'm old and gray.

Since the snow, my grandparents' mobility has been limited to the confines of their house. As such, I
decided to visit them. As much as they annoy me during our family gatherings, when it's just us, I am reminded of how blessed I am to have grandparents like them.

At any rate, sometime after Thanksgiving, I was given the blame of breaking their Scrabble computer game. Now, since my grandfather started losing his hearing, he and my grandmother have been chained to the computer, playing endless games of Scrabble and Spider Solitaire. Having a love for Scrabble (after many games with my mom! Thanks, Mom!), and being somewhat of a nerd myself, I understood their addiction.

At a family dinner, my cousin Sam's boyfriend, Jerome and I tried fixing the problem. We came up with the conclusion that we needed to buy them a new Scrabble disc.

Which brings me to my visit with my grandparents. Armed with a new disc in hand, I proclaimed to my grandfather that I would remedy his boredom and enable his addiction to the great game of Scrabble.

Grandpa: Abby, I don't even miss it anymore.
Abby: [not believing him] Sure, Grandpa. But I want to do this for you.

After a bit of a struggle (apparently it took more than a new disc...) I got the game back for him. My grandmother had made me dinner, and when I retreated to the kitchen, I watched them as they both poured over the computer, smiles wide and eyes gleaming.

Grandma: [pointing at the screen.] No. You want this word.
Grandpa: [in control of the mouse.] This is better. You don't know how to play.
Grandma: [playfully punching him in the arm.] Yes, I do.
Grandpa: [pointing at the screen] That's not even a word!

I shook my head and laughed quietly to myself while they continued for the rest of the evening, playing the well loved (and missed) Scrabble game.

I know I don't say it much, but I am glad to have my grandparents, the wonderful, loving and somewhat nerdy, people they are.

Currently watching :
The West Wing - The Complete First Season

No comments: