Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The State of Things

Never doubt for a moment that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world.

Did you think that President Bush would give the State of the Union without me mentioning it?

Silly Rabbit.

President Bush is giving the State of the Union tonight. The fact that it is called "the annual State of the Union" is funny to me. According to the US Constitution, the president can address the state of the union at any time he wishes (presuming that the Speaker of the House invites the president, of course). But I digress.

Will I watch it? Probably not. I understand this is very hypocritical of me, given my heightened interested in politics. However, I have better things to do. I will be at small group tonight, after which, I will watch House. I'll read about it tomorrow.

Do I refuse to watch the State of the Union because I don't trust the President? No. Do I refuse to watch because I'm tried of American Politics? No. Do I refuse to watch because having my heart broken so many times, I dare not believe that I'd hear anything different?

Certainly not. I don't put my faith in politics, let alone this presidency.

I refuse to watch because this speech, in of itself, doesn't change things. We will still have troops in Iraq. And if not Iraq, we will be engaged with, if not on the brink of, war with someone else. AIDS and Poverty will still plague most of our world and being one of the richest nations, we will still not put forth any effort to remedy the problem. We will still have a high dependency on oil because we can't help but buy bigger cars. The economy will not see a bull market any time soon, and the deficit will continue to threaten our crippled social security.

And yes, God will still bless America.

I have no problems with the State of the Union. I really don't. It's important, and I wish that we could do it more. But if anyone--the American Government, the UN, Bono or a small group of people--decides to put feet to words to challenge us to seek change and progress and not just for the betterment of our own state of affairs, that would be a sight to see. But like most people, regardless of American citizenship, we're just waiting for someone to light a fire under our untrusting hearts.
I feel sorry for the president (and any president, for that matter). It's hard to lead a nation this large and this disengaged to any issue that is worth fighting for.


And that, for the most part, is the state of things.

No comments: