Sunday, October 18, 2009

Legacy

One of the most inspiring people in my life is my high school choir director.

Giles (er, Tony--I'm sorry, Giles, it's going to take me awhile to get used to calling you Tony) played a huge part of my life, specifically in my junior and senior years of high school. He saved my life more than once and he shared with me how I was instrumental in his. While he and I reminisced and reconnected during the KR Choir Reunion this past weekend, I realized that if asked to do my senior year over again in the same manner, I would.

But maybe that time around, I would remember to sleep every once in awhile.

During our day of rehearsal for the following concert that night, I was struck with joyful memories of choir rehearsals in high school. Giles is still a bundle of energy, always teaching and seeking to connect with his students--or in this case, his colleagues--through music. Although a decade (or more, for some) had passed since we were in his classroom, it did not take long for us to respond to his direction and teaching.

We were, in essence, well-trained.

As I watched him conduct and teach, I couldn't help but laugh to myself at the numerous mannerisms I had adopted from him. I direct in the same way. I tilt my head when the notes are a little flat. I break into little teaching speeches of the importance of music, the composer or arranger, the history of the piece, and the musical (technical and artistic) elements at play. I am found frantically running around to address the last minute details right before a performance. I double-book myself and am busy with numerous obligations (I'm sorry, Giles, I ended up doing the very thing you warned me not to do. I'll try to do better). I also arrange a set list in the same way.

However, this isn't just my story. Everyone in that room that day had been affected by Giles or another former director, Don Barrows. Giles had been influenced by Mr. Barrows, and so essentially, everyone in the room was part of Mr. Barrows's legacy. All of us were touched by their passion for music and that passion continues with us.

As Giles often said during our reunion, it wasn't the music that brought us back. We came back because of the connections we had made while creating beautiful music together.

At least for me, I wanted to thank Giles for everything he did for me in my musical and personal life. He was one of the few that stood up for me during my junior year, and he was the one who challenged me to find my way back to music after a seven year absence. It was a joy to sing with him in school and it is a huge honor to have a chance to sing with him as an adult.

I know he was touched by this first of hopefully many reunion concerts. I couldn't imagine what it was like for him to see those he had taught throughout the years come back and sing with him, but I do know that he was overwhelmed to see his legacy and passion for music continue. In our conversation at the Homecoming game, he said he felt blessed to have so many of us to come back and still enjoy each other and the music.

In reality, Tony, we were the blessed ones.

No comments: