Sunday, October 25, 2009

Walking Joyfully With a Limp

We should walk joyfully with a limp.
--Jon Fredricks

I really wish I had made up this phrase. Excellent job, Pastor Jon.

Today's offering was based on the story in Genesis of Jacob wrestling with God. He demanded a blessing, and instead received a limp and a new name.

I will not be able to give today's sermon justice, and there are so many great lessons that they all couldn't possibly fit into one blog. However, one of the lessons that stayed with me was about Jacob's limp. Jacob/Israel's limp was a reminder that beauty can come from ashes. Weakness doesn't have to mean defeat. We can struggle with God and overcome. We can prevail even if we walk away joyfully with a limp.

A year has passed since I shared my story of my "limp," so to speak. Despite the freedom and blessing I found after sharing the whole truth, I never spoke of it again. I often elude to it in conversation. I keep the story vague, but never get into details.

Yes, I'm hiding.

And so I offered the story. It was still difficult, but it's getting easier. I'm not dancing on rooftops over what I had gone through and what I hope to become--that joy is still yet to be found.

But at least the limp isn't as painful as it used to be.

No comments: