Sunday, November 29, 2009

Anticipating a Major Key

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and ransom captive Israel.
--Latin Translation by John Mason Neale, 1851.

Lyrically and musically, this is one of my favorite Christmas songs.

Typically, the majority of this music piece is sung in a minor key. However, there is one change at the chorus when "Rejoice!" is sung with a major chord. The true beauty is found in the whole; in the tension between the two parts. The beauty would be lost if either of the parts were missing. The song needs both the mournful anticipation and the joyful resolution.

In midst of darkness, there is hope. While waiting during an seemingly endless time of sorrow, joy is found in a promise that the wait will be over.

Today is the first Sunday of the season of Advent. A few stories came across my path that broke my heart. Some of it was personal, some of it from those close to me, and some came from those I don't know but call the town I share with them "home." It breaks my heart to hear these stories, especially at the beginning of the Christmas season.

My heart is broken over the events of this specific day. There are some things I can't understand. There is despair and pain and sorrow. I can't make sense of it in my mind; I can't make it fit in my heart.

My hope for those going through such hard times is that they find comfort in their family and friends; that they find hope in a promise that it will not always be this way. There will come a time when we will reach the end of this, and we will sing in a different key.

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
--Paul, Romans 12:15 (ESV)

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.