Monday, November 26, 2007

I really shouldn't be this offended

The curse of the office email is the perpetual inflow of forwarded emails. I don't typically send forward emails, but I do enjoy the momentary distraction they provide. It's the equivalent of glancing at the headlines of popular magazines while waiting in line at the grocery store. Entertaining, but not really meant to be more than a vehicle to pass the time.

Much like this blog.

However, I ran across this forwarded email about a radio program asking people to write "in God we trust" on the back of our envelopes in an act of rebellion against the US Postal Service. (Really, guys...let's give the post office a break. They've got an odd mix of having too much power and too little at the same time.) Apparently, the USPS had said that the motto was too offensive to be on a stamp. Huh. Odd thing to get your underwear in a bunch.

Although I don't care too much over the form of retaliation, what interested me was this line: We must take back our nation from all the people who think that anything that offends them should be removed.

Now bear in mind that I'm ignoring the obvious hypocrisy that can be read in that statement, considering the possible source of the email. All of you are smart enough to figure that out for yourselves: Everyone is a hypocrite.

What makes me sad about this email is that it was meant to be meaningful and yet the meaning was lost in the trivial act they were asking us to take. Sure, you could "in God we trust" on every snail mail envelope you send and give some postal workers a little laughter to lighten their day, but it doesn't mean anything if people don't understand the fact that we have this freedom to do this. We have the freedom to proclaim whatever it is we believe, regardless if people agree with us or not.

This is why other nations hate us. They can't stand our pluralism. Someone who practices Judaism has the same rights as someone who practices Islam. Women can interact with men. Chinese people can learn Spanish. I can dye my hair any color I want, dance, and listen to jazz. We live in a pluralistic society based on the principle of the freedoms that protect the diversity of this nation. I may not agree with you, but you are free to believe whatever it is you want. Respect me, I respect you.

What we are apparently missing here is the respect. I find that people confuse a statement that offends me with a statement that disrespects me. I am sure the phrase "in God we trust" offends people. In fact, I'm counting on it. But what I don't want is that phrase to be used as a way to disrespect others or have that phrase be used to disrespect my beliefs in the same God that phrase just happens to be referring to.

Yes, in God I trust. And yes, I believe it is a principle of our founding fathers. And yes I believe it is printed on American money. (that, I actually can produce for you.) I agree with the statement that we need to take our nation back from fanatics who believe that anything offensive should be removed. But really, let's not fight over the words that have hardly any meaning. I think we can find something more important to fight over. I could care less if the American "motto" is taken off the money or the pledge of Allegiance, etc. But I do care if the freedoms that make it possible for me to say what I believe are taken away. There are real wrongs out there, people who are removing other people that truly offend them by restricting their rights, their freedoms, their liberties, their pursuit of happiness...and yes, their dignities.

Now over those human offenses, I can let my panties get in a bunch.

I'll get riled up. And I will even consider forwarding your email. But other than that, I will stand by my right to be offended by your message, applaud your freedom to stand up for what you believe in, and ask for your respect to demonstrate the same.

Ok. Rant over. Go back to your daily lives.

Currently watching :
Friends - The Complete Fifth Season

No comments: