Thursday, November 8, 2007

Shoot, Dang...is that a Christmas Song I hear?

I walked into Starbucks today and was hit with a wall of red.

Because Halloween is over, Corporate Starbucks ushered in the holiday season. Christmas songs will be playing, eggnog lattes will be steaming, and Starbucks Cards will be loading. Not exactly 'Twas the Night Before Christmas...but welcome to the holiday season.

Go Capitalism.

As I was walking through the store, I was overcome with extreme sadness. For the past three holidays I have worked for Starbucks and this year will be my first one free from the clutches of consumerism. But instead of dancing my dance of joy, I was actually gripped with sadness and nostalgia. I am actually going to miss it. I am going to miss this happy time of year and the random craziness that goes with Christmas. I will miss meeting all the interesting people who come into the store looking for a warm drink or a last-minute present for the Christmas party they're already late for. There really is a special feeling that happens at a Starbucks store during the holiday season and yes, I miss it.

But when I ordered a drink, a different assortment of memories flooded back; memories of the holiday season last year and the chaos that insued and the inevitable hatred and loathing for people that followed.

Now that I don't miss.

I walked out of the store, took in the free air and smiled. Sure, I miss this part of working at Starbucks but I wouldn't go back. (Not for that at least.) This year, I actually get to spread the Christmas cheer to the people I love, not serving sugared drinks to strangers that don't care about me. This year, I get to spend time with family and friends and be awake enough to remember it. This year, I get to go to parties and not smell/reek of coffee and steamed milk. This year, I get to actually call the holidays, "Christmas," and not fear the risk of insulting somebody. No green aprons, no extra-hot eggnog lattes/scrambled eggs, no up-selling a coffee machine to someone who just came in for a cup of coffee.

And definitely no more of "I'm the Happiest Christmas Tree" stuck on repeat. (I still get nightmares.)

In the end, my Christmas celebration will not be brought to me by Starbucks. And that my friend, is what I consider a wonderful gift.

Currently watching : The West Wing - The Complete First Season

No comments: