Monday, October 13, 2008

I Like the Little Things

It was a discouraging day today.

But God, in his infinite wisdom and an unfailing love showed me once again, that he still cares. And he will still show this through people...even if they are random.

Today, it was my chiropractor.

We were in his office, talking about my one month reassessment. Because it's me, I ended up asking him more questions about his sleeping patterns than he did about mine. Realizing that I had yet, once again, turned the tables in controlling the conversation, he laughed and asked me what I would recommend for his sleeping problems.

I leaned forward and said with a raised eyebrow that I because I wasn't licensed, I couldn't give him medical advice, but I thought he should consult his doctor. And with a smile, I told him I knew a name of a few chiropractors. He laughed again and we talked about my schooling, when I graduated college and high school, where I went to high school, how long I lived in Tacoma and where my family lived. We chatted about where he grew up and his adventures in baseball.

Sadly, our conversation had to end, because, truly, I had an actual medical appointment, not a first date. (E-mail me if you want my thoughts on that one).

Sure, I'm a bit of a flirt (the debate is out there if I am one or not) and he was asking those questions to get to know me. Or maybe I just carry a good conversation. But in the end, I found it refreshing to have someone hold a conversation with me. I learned about them, they learn about me. Usually its one sided, but this time, it wasn't.

And after a whole day of feeling like I was never going to be heard and that I was destined for a life of silence, it was nice to have someone actually sit down across from me, look in me in the eyes and let me share a little bit about my life.

It doesn't have to mean anything, but one fifteen minute conversation proved to me that a little bit can still mean a lot.

No comments: