Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Odd Chances

This past Sunday, my church hosted a Harvest Festival. I was in charge of the cake walk. For two hours, in 10 minute intervals, I play referee for the scrambling children who desperately desire to win a cake. For like 10 seconds I'm every child's favorite, because I hold the key to the cakes. Only to be followed by 9 minutes and 50 seconds of being the sworn enemy of children everywhere because I denied them access.

Silly, fickle children. The game of chance is lost on so many people.

However, I found out that one of my favorite children in the entire world was determined to win a cake. Having been denied three years in a row, he made it known that all he wanted during this year's Harvest Festival was to go home with a cake.

Of course, since he is my favorite, I wanted him to win. However, I could not rig the game...espeically at a church function! Discovering that my integrity was coming into question, I decided to let random people in the audience pick the number. I picked my favorite child's mother to pick a number...and she ends up picking my favorite child's number.

Did I mention that this was a game of chance? Seriously...what were the odds?

The child didn't even know. I cheered for him and told him he had won a cake. His mother, with her own intergrity coming into question, showed the token that bore the number that her own child was standing on. He stared at the number he was standing on and when it finally registered, he threw his hands in the air and jumped for victory.

I was truly happy for that kid. And I hope he enjoyed that cake.

And no...I did not rig the game. I couldn't even if I tried!

Did I mention that this was a game of chance?

On a slightly related note, at work, we had hired a few new people to help with our Gift Catalog season. Gift Catalog items are quite popular during the Holidays and usually generates a large portion of our income. And since most of our yearly income at World Vision comes during November and December, it is imperative that we have all hands (and extra hands) on deck.

As I have mentioned before, I am working in the reserach department for DCS while one of my co-workers is on maternity leave. DCS agents take calls in the floor above us, so I have not quite met all the new hires. One of them was sitting at my old desk--which in itself is annoying. But shock of all shocks, was that I thought he was an former friend of mine (who, sadly, I no longer speak to. I'm sorry...I miss you, friend!). He looked so much like him that I almost went behind him to say hello and strike up a conversation that Former Friend and I would have.

Sadly, it was not him. Thankfully...I did not embarrass myself by interacting with New Guy as if we already knew each other.

And as I have gotten to know this person more, it is eerily scary how similar he is to Former Friend. Their mannerisms are oddly similar. He sounds almost like him. They have similar clothing styles. It is crazy! And for some reason, I forget that New Guy is not Former Friend every time I venture up the flight of stairs that separates our floors. I know its going to happen...I'm going to call him by Former Friend's name. I know it. Embarrassment is just around the corner!

I'm hoping they have the same name, so I don't have to spend any more mental energy to stop referring to New Guy as Former Friend.

Seriously...what are the chances?

1 comment: