Saturday, November 28, 2009

Choosing Tradition

I'm not sure if I am characteristically a traditional person, but as of late, I am fascinated with tradition.

The sociologist part of me could not stop the flooding questions: How do traditions begin? How does one integrate people into their family traditions? What is the process of changing traditions? Why do some traditions stand the test of time and others fade away?

And the very personal part of me had questions of her own, surrounding one basic question: If and when I have a family of my own, how will my holiday and family traditions change?

It's been ten years since I moved to Tacoma. In that process, I have developed my own traditions, a melding of my church family and my own family. I try to honor both families, doing my best to participate and connect with the people that mean the most to me. However, that process has been a long and hard one. I have hurt some feelings whenever I chose one group over the other.

Sometimes those choices don't exclude the other. Thanksgiving, in particular, is one that I am lucky enough to participate with both families--Turkey Bowl with Kristin in the morning, dinner with the Colliers in the afternoon; Thanksgiving dinner with the family in the evening.

My mind has been awhirl over what I think and feel about my life; what is really important to me--including these holiday and family traditions. In whatever way my life changes, one of the things I am looking forward to experiencing is creating family traditions of my own.

No comments: