Sunday, November 22, 2009

Home Churches and Being at Rest

In the short time since my responsibilities at work changed, I grew accustomed to being busy.

There are some things we should just get used to. Leading a busy life shouldn't be one of them.

The ironic thing is, I led a devotion at work about staying still and the struggle not to be busy. As per usual, I struggled with the very thing I shared in front of a large group of people. I've got witnesses now.

Today is my Sunday morning "off"--meaning, I am not leading worship at my church this Sunday morning. I have no responsibilities. Last month, I was at such a loss at having nothing to do that I ended up doing something. This month, I was asked by my pastor to actually rest.

I realized that in order to do so, I would have to physically remove myself from my regular Sunday morning. And when I say "physically remove myself," I mean, I would have to leave town.

To many people, it may seem counterintuitive for me to go to my hometown in times of stress. But when times get really rough, I tend to travel north to my grandparent's home.

They are home to me.

And in a typical Abby-is-stressed-she's-escaping move, I headed to my hometown.

During my drive there, I got a few text messages that tempted me to come back and ignore this command to rest. But I had to keep going despite this deep desire to turn the car around and help where I was needed. That isn't exactly being still with God.

As much as I would miss my church family, I knew I couldn't rest with them this morning. Not yet. I hope I will someday. But for the time being, the temptation to maintain my usual busyness during my typical Sunday morning would be far too strong for me to overcome.

There was only one missing detail in my plan to rest. Although going to church isn't required to rest, I still wanted to go somewhere.

A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with a friend about home churches. And since I couldn't go to my home church where I grew up, I decided to go to visit his. I have my own memories of this particular church, and it wouldn't be the first time this church had served as a sanctuary for me.

I was a bit out of my element, but despite the fact that it was obvious that I was a first time visitor (that's another blog), the church members were very attentive and welcoming. I encountered God in a way that made me miss some of the traditions I had grown up with. I shared communion with a group of strangers that considered me family for that single moment. I met a few new people (yes, I gave them my real name). I drank a cup of extremely hot coffee in their quaint fellowship hall. One of them wanted to adopt me.

It reminded me of the better times at the church I had grown up in. It also reminded me of my current church family before I got used to my life of busyness.

By the time I drove home, I was at peace. Rested. Still. A little more connected than when I woke up. I remembered the God I had forgotten in my time of being busy.

So, thank you, Church in My Hometown that adopted me into their home this Sunday morning. You may not know it, but you helped me rediscover what I thought I had lost. Thank you for letting me rest.

And to my wonderful church family in Tacoma, I missed you this morning. It may take me awhile, but I will try not to let busyness get between us again.

Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in all the earth.
--LORD God to David. Psalm 46:10 (ESV)

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Missed you!

Sara Sandefur said...

It's a hard lesson to learn for someone with such a servant's heart. Being still is SO HARD! But I'm glad you went for it. Love you!

Abby said...

Kristin--Thanks! I think I missed you most of all, Scarecrow. :D

Sara--I'm glad I went for it, too. Almost didn't (not that you couldn't tell) but it was well worth it. I'm still working on my list, though. I love you, my friend.