Sunday, November 1, 2009

Name Calling

Yes, it's another pun. Really, I do hate puns.

Since Pastor Jon's sermon on the beautiful struggle of Jacob/Israel with God, I went on this obsessive research on anything about this particular story in the Bible. (No, I don't obsess much). Some commentators talked about the blessings of the limp, the beauty of struggle. Others talked about Jacob's character, God's strengthening of a boy who was yet to become a man. And others talked about the significance of the changing of names.

I do have a fascination with names. What they mean, how they were chosen, if it fits the person it was given to. I bought a baby name book once--a $4.00 find at Target--and combed through it to find the etymology of numerous names. I used that book when I used to write stories. I don't write stories any longer, and I have no idea where that book is now. (I must have misplaced it along the many moves between houses, dorms, and apartments). Yet, names still fascinate me.

Although this may seem to be another reason for me to bring up Rob Bell, I do want to share something from his offering on the Jacob/Israel story. It isn't anything new, but worth pondering:

In the ancient Near East your name was more than just words. Name was identity. Your name was reflective of your character, your substance, I mean the very fiber that made you, you. Your name told you who you are.
--Rob Bell, "Name"

Names brought a calling to your life. Rob Bell contends that during Jacob/Israel's time, when someone asked you "What is your name?" they are essentially asking you, "Who are you?"

What I love about the Jacob/Israel story was that he was given a new name. He was no longer the "deceiver," but "he who strives with God." He is a conqueror. He has become more than the name he has been given. He was called to something greater than that.

Now, I happen to like what my name means (source of joy). I often don't believe I live up to it, but it's a comfort to know that I am not limited or defined by my name. I am called to something more.

And you shall be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will give...
--Isaiah, about Jerusalem/Zion, Isaiah 62:3 (ESV)

Answering the question "What is your name?" is easier than providing an explanation of "Who are you?" However, I am learning to love this process of finding out the answer to that question. I've provided many answers to that question. Some answers I've liked, some I wish I never had been, some I have yet to become. Our answers can change because we change.

We are more than the names we have been called.

No comments: