Friday, August 29, 2008

Grass is Greener

I don't mind admitting this, but sometimes, I wish that I owned a Mac.

Now, I don't usually use computers much for anything other than to write stories that no one will read, so I can't justify the cost. At the moment, I am using my friend's Macbook and I find that I am hit with the jealousy bug.

Yes, I covet. Especially when they're bright and shiny.

And newer than my current laptop.

Now, I don't usually get into the whole Mac vs. PC debate. Again, going back to the point where I don't use computers ofter than to write, I don't throw my hat into the ring. I don't mind saying that I don't know much about computers and such. For instance, I'm sitting here right now, debating on whether people still use the word "gadgets" to refer to tech toys.

Fact of the matter is, I don't care which one I use. However, I grew up with Apple computers. It was the first computer my family "owned", complete with its floppy disk drive. My elementary school taught us on the infamous Apple II computers and we thought we were on the fringe of the latest technology. In high school, I envied my best friend's new iMac when they first came out, and saddened that my laptop didn't come in funky colors like hers.

So I sit here, dinking around on my friend's Macbook, wishing that I had one, too. But in the end, I still can't justify the price to get one right now.

All of that to say is...donations are gladly accepted for the Abby-Covets-Her-Friend's-Computer-and-Now-Wants-a-New-Computer Fund.

And yes, as always, I accept all major credit cards.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Shoot, I don't even remember laptops being around when I was in high school. Maybe they hadn't reached Alaska yet!

And I think people still say "gadget", at least I do!

And I read your stories!

Abby said...

Thanks, Amy! I appreciate your support--in both reading my blogs and the use of the word "gadget."

I'll see about getting the word "new-fangled" back into our English vernacular. ;)