Tuesday, August 12, 2008

So What If I'm a Little Excited

...or borderline obsessive.

Last night, I was chatting with some friends regarding the Olympics. And as I shared the expectations of the upcoming swimming events, my friends found themselves laughing at my abnormal alacrity.

And I wasn't talking about politics.

But the irony isn't lost on me here. Like the Presidential Elections, the Summer Games seem to ignite the country, rally the nation to be excited about what their fellow Americans can do. Sadly, like the Presidential Elections, the Summer Games only comes every four years. The positive feelings and good national pride will fade away and we will be back to our individual goals, materialism and economy, and shame for the mistakes our country has made. Heroes will be only found on the silver screen and the everyman who achieved a lifetime dream will be found at the bottom of the eighth page of the newspaper. Names will be forgotten in time, and the nation will forget what it was like to be unified with a single goal.

Until the next Election/Olympics.

I wish could bottle the excitement the nation feels when someone named Jason Lezack pushes himself forward for his team's sake in the name of his country. I wish I could get the nation to believe in America as much as they are behind Team USA. But I apparently don't have that kind of power.

So, I do get excited. Somehow, during the Summer Olympics, America becomes a little more like the nation I wish it to be. And I'll take it.

Even if it only comes once every four years.

And yes...Peirsol (100m backstroke) and Phelps (200m free) won gold. Go Team USA!

No comments: