Saturday, November 1, 2008

Rights

Yesterday, I came across a political commentary stating a popular adage: if you didn't vote, you don't have the right to complain.

I have said this numerous times, but now I'm having second thoughts. You do have the right to complain, regardless of whether you voted or not. (Vote, people!). You should have the right to be mad that the economy is bad. You should have the right to speak out against a broken system. You should have the right to say that this world could be better and that you want more for Americanthan what our elected leaders alone can provide.

This sudden dilemma in my brain came about a few moments before I read that commentary. I was reading about the refugees in the Congo and the rebels advancing to Goma. People have fled their homes in search of sanctuary, only to face the dangers of meeting their enemies in the places they thought were safe. And the day before that, my co-worker and I were talking about the violent political history of Pakistan. There are people who say they believe in democracy who cut off the opposing extremists heads and raise their bloodied stumps in public as a warning to those who speak out against their political agenda. And before I wrote this blog, I came across an article about a 13 year old girl in Somalia who reported to be raped, only to be accused of adultery. For her supposed crimes, she was stoned to death.

It breaks my heart.

These people don't have a voice. And they probably never will.

Yes, America is broken, corrupt, ignorant and, at times, murderous. But we have a right to speak and have our voices heard. We have the right to say that we don't agree with our system and not fear violent retribution by extremists who don't agree with me based on their dogma against my race, my age, my gender, my creed. I have the right to say that the bankers are greedy and the government protects only those who have money. I have the right to a trial if I were ever accused of a crime that I didn't commit. And yes, I may not agree with our elected leaders...and I have the right to say so, whether I voted for them or not.

So, sure, I'd like for everyone to vote. I'd like a perfect candidate that won't disappoint. But most of all, I would like not to take for granted the freedom I have to speak and be heard.

If you didn't vote, or if you voted for the guy I didn't vote for, or if we voted for the same person, it doesn't change our right to complain or crow if the world does or doesn't change. Just because the Presidential Election cycle is drawing to a close doesn't mean we get to stop exercising our right to speak and preserving right for others to disagree. There will still be issues in the world and our nation when November 4 passes us by and when the new president takes oath on January 20th.

The bigger crime isn't whether you voted or not. The bigger crime comes on all the other days that don't merit a countdown on CNN. The bigger crime occurs when we had the freedom to speak against injustices of any size and chose, instead, to remain silent.

Vote. It may not be the best or most effective expression of our freedoms, but it is one of the many freedoms we have in this nation. And one that we should not take for granted.

No comments: