Thursday, April 9, 2009

Undefined

A common theme I am experiencing is that I am quite uncomfortable with things I can't define.

Right now, the things that cause me the most anxiety are the things can't define. And for some reason, people won't tell me where I stand, what I'm supposed to do...etc.

I studied sociology for three years and there is this theory that people only understand their world based on social cues. Social construction of reality.

I don't completely buy into that, but I believe that people like to know where they are so as to figure out their future behavior.

Maybe that's why we have a hard time with the undefined, the unknown. We want to know what to do next, but we have no idea what that next step should be. We don't want to be wrong, to fail, to seem foolish. And so, we don't do anything. Risking foolishness, apparently, is an unforgivable crime.

I don't like things undefined. I can't take the cues from my social situations, social circumstances, social status or my understanding of social construction. I must wait on the Lord until he shows me the next step. Until then, I have to trust that the God of the universe knows what's going on, has a plan for the good, and is determining every step.

Yes, it's another lesson in trusting in God. But I will admit, this waiting's hard...especially since I don't know what's going on.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this: "I must wait on the Lord until he shows me the next step. Until then, I have to trust that the God of the universe knows what's going on, has a plan for the good, and is determining every step." :-D None of us REALLY knows what comes next, but we can know that our next step will be trusting Him, so we can live now. C S Lewis made the wise remark that the present is the only point at which time touches eternity. We can learn from the past but not change it. We can plan for the future, but we don't know it. So right this minute is our little bit of eternity - to trust God and praise Him, however we feel, whatever we don't know, whatever fears and other stuff we have to put up with, to love and trust and obey Him right this second. That is so helpful to me! And to know His wonderful, rich, living Word and be able to act on it's principles in the power of the Holy Spirit, no matter what anyone else is doing, saying, being. So powerful! I Peter 1:3

Abby said...

Lu--I love your comment. You speak to my heart, my friend. You (and apparently CS Lewis) encourage me!

Unknown said...

Goody! Yeah, C S Lewis rocks. I did put the wrong scripture reference down though. I meant 2 Peter 1:3. Doh! Although 1 Peter is good too... :-)Looking forward to tomorrow.