Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend Recap

I apologize for my sporadic entries as of late. I realize they've been lists lately; but that's all I can seem to put into words.

This past weekend I attended my Aunt Lou's and Uncle Ronnie's 25th wedding anniversary celebration. I had approached it with some apprehension and anxiety, but it ended up being a wonderful celebration. I was thankful to be part of the celebration, even if it meant staying up too late. But it's family. At least I was in a pretty, pretty dress.

Speaking of which, I had forgotten how much I like dressing up. I don't do it often, which speaks most to my self-esteem than it does to my financial ability to afford such fancy clothing. I won't share what I think about myself, but it was fun to be pretty on purpose for a day. I hated wearing the dress in the presence of my family; but with my church family, I felt radiant. Yes, the attention was a little much (that's what you get for wearing a pretty dress while on stage. I keep forgetting that people can see me when I'm on the worship team) but it was fun. The dress is in my closet now, and probably won't see the light of day any time soon. That is, unless, I deliberately find a fancy function to attend.

I'm in my normal clothes now, and suddenly, they seem so boring. :-D

Lastly, my friend Chifonne and I visited the Ballard campus of Mars Hill. The Lord has been speaking to me about the Holy Spirit a lot recently, which has completely rocked my world; but that's another blog that I'm still working on.

Mark Driscoll was preaching that night, and God used those words to speak truth and conviction in my life. It was good. I can't share everything I had learned in this particular encounter with God, but I will share this hard truth about suffering and sin. Although it can be ugly to look at, suffering can expose idols. And idols reveal our sin. No one likes to look at sin when it is their own, but in the process of looking at our idols and confessing our sins, our repentance and our subsequent reliance on God and his grace can become a beautiful act of worship to God.

May the Holy Spirit rest on all of you, my friends. When the Spirit does, may we truly know how to worship with more than just a song.

No comments: