Friday, July 4, 2008

A brief interruption brought to you by...the Presidential Election

I know that I have been quiet lately regarding the Presidential election. I have no excuse other than I have found nothing of note to comment on that hasn't already been commented on. As it is the Fourth of July, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

Straight Talk and Hope/Change We Can Believe In aside, what this election cycle is showing me is that everyone, regardless of which camp they come from, is essentially saying the same thing. Both sides love America. Both sides want to support us in the issues that concern us most. Both want change, and both believe that it is through the government that it can be achieved. How they achieve those goals is where they mostly differ.

What I have left to say about this Presidential election is this: Diversity is what makes this country unique. Tolerance of that diversity is a freedom we enjoy and should protect. It is admirable if someone can rally a diverse country full of apathetic, yet somewhat opinionated people. It will be historic if someone can unite them.

E pluribus unum. Out of many, one.
Happy Independence Day.

No comments: