Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This ain't no time to be puddle jumpin'

Here's a funny story that I never thought would ever happen to me.

Last week, I had the stomach flu. I was home from work for three days straight, and endured two very long days at work because I became too sick of sleeping and watching CSI all day. Because I'm single and I live alone, no one was there to entertain me or take care of me, except for my best friend, Natalie, who did a grocery run for me because I couldn't stand up for five minutes without wanting to throw up.

Thanks, Natalie, for making me a little less pathetic. :-)

But that's not the story.

Today we had an all-staff meeting for my department. We are normally housed in Building 2, but the chapel room where we had our meeting was in Building 1. Basically, to get from point A to point B, we cross a parking lot.

On the way back after the meeting, my very tall friend tells me we should run because it was going to pour rain soon. It had been dreary all morning, and I didn't expect it to rain more than the typical smattering of renegade rain drops. However, the rain was starting to come fast from the dark, full clouds above us. So, in my heels, with my small feet and short legs, I try to keep up with my friend as she skips through the parking lot.

And then...my pants literally fall off.

Not completely, mind you, but enough where my waistline had dropped to the bottom of, well, my bottom.

I'm certain I mooned a squirrel out there.

Utterly horrified, I pull up the waist of my pants and skipped through the parking lot while trying not to drop the papers I was carrying.

Did I mention I was in heels?

I get back to our floor, winded from my brisk return to Building 2. Thankfully, other than my friend, no one saw my little Marky-Mark routine. My friend and I joked around about my personal issues and how I need to invest in a $5 belt. I tell her I don't wear belts because I never felt a need for them. She raises an eyebrow, probably because she saw a self-deprecating comment starting to develop in me, and I drop (no pun intended) the subject.

It was then that I tried to calculate when was the last time I ate, and I realized that due to my stomach flu, I hadn't had anything more than crackers and water for nearly a week. And because it had to do with me, I tend not to notice these kind of things. :-)

Ok. Lesson learned. Before puddle jumping...

1. Wear better shoes.
2. Wear a belt.
3. Rule 2 is a definite must when you hadn't eaten in a week due to the stomach flu.

No comments: