Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Conversation with Caleb

My church has the greatest kids.

One of the families in my church has two sets of twins. The youngest one, is a five-year old named Caleb. Like his twin brother, Andrew, he likes to run around in the movie theater that our church meets every week, rebelliously running up and down the ramp in the middle of the lobby. I don't know if it was the "heat wave" or the fact that he had been running around for a long time, but Caleb ended up sitting next to me, waiting for his family to be finish socializing.

Now, I don't know many twenty-five year old boys who know how to carry a conversation, let alone a five year old. As with most conversations, it started out with silly questions from me:

Me: Now which one are you? George?
Caleb: I'm not George! I'm Caleb!!
Me: Then [pointing at his brother] he must be George.
Caleb: No. That's Andrew.
Me: Oh. Well, where's George?

He laughed at me and then proceded to tell me the make up of his family. Starting from oldest to youngest. And then he told me about swimming.

At one point, someone came up to talk to me. I turned to answer that person's question, while Caleb waited patiently. Usually, at this time, the kid will run around again, chasing after the elusive donut near the coffee table. However, he waited. When the adult left, I turned to Caleb who picked up right where he left off. He talked more about swimming and then how his dad used to do really cool jumps on his bike and how he wants to be like his father.

Cutest thing ever.

But of course, I turned it back to the silliness.

Caleb: Ms. Kristin had a baby.
Me: I know. Maybe that baby's name is George!
Caleb: No! She had a girl.
Me: Do you know her name?

Caleb shrugs.

Me: What's a good girl's name?

Caleb thinks for a long while. A smile then creeps on his face as he announces proudly:

Caleb: Nicole.
Me: That's a great girl's name.
Caleb: It's the best. Did you know my mom's name is Nicole?
Me: That's right! Now I remember.
Caleb: And mommy is the best Nicole.

It was probably the most precious encounter I have had in a long while. It makes my heart sing to hear children talk about the parents they love. I had the longest week before that Sunday. I was tired and my heart was aching. But it amazes me how that can all change with a child who has so much love for everyone around them.

Thank you Caleb, for being a blessing. I will never call you George again.

Thank you God...you're the best God.

No comments: