Saturday, February 14, 2009

Challenge

There was a challenge made at worship team practice last night.

Funny thing is, the challenge came after practice was over for the night and a couple of us were just chatting about how we got into music. (Ok. I was chatting, and people were answering my incessant questions.)

At one point, one of the guitar players brought up one of the first recordings we had done together. I had recently joined the worship team at that time--before all the critiques, orchestrations, and pad sounds started coming into my brain. He said he had been really impressed with how I played back then and wanted to know why I hold back now.

Stupid two notes.

I couldn't give him a straight answer. But what came out revealed my vulnerability and my large insecurity.

I don't think I play very well.

What resulted was a very informal jam session, which exhilarated and frightened me. In the end, the guitar player said he was glad we had this talk. Apparently, it had been brewing underneath for some time.

I was glad, too. It's good to be challenged once in awhile. Even if you fail.

No comments: