Saturday, February 21, 2009

Without Thinking

Yes, there are times when I don't think about anything.

These rare moments come when I am playing the piano. I'm not performing, playing with a band, or even worshiping (although I do end up worshiping God at the end of these moments). I'm playing for the sake of playing. And everything that I think, feel, worry, or celebrating comes out from the tips of my fingers and onto the keys. And somehow, the music comes out and it is beautiful.

I don't get to play piano often. Time and resources are limited; and the times when I get to play are squished into a mere few hours when I am playing on the worship team. In the ten years (!) that I have lived in Tacoma and without a piano, I realize that it isn't enough. I have a deep desire to play and it often gets pushed off to the side to make room for other things and responsibilities.

The piano that I learned how to play on is housed at my grandparents'. It may sound sad, but that piano is home to me. Playing piano on that Always-Out-of-Tune Wurlitzer upright has saved me in more ways than I can recall.

I visited my grandparents on Friday. I often opt not to play the piano while I visit, in fear that they will make it into an awkward performance. I used to hate to practice playing piano in front of them mainly because they made my practices into a performance. "Abby, can you play...?"

Grr. Argh.

But I didn't care. I needed to play.

I pulled out the piano bench and lifted the cover. The wood squeaked a bit from not being used in ages. I ran through a few scales, cringing with an odd delight that the same keys were still out of tune, if not more so. The D over the high C produced its familiar tinny sound and the A above middle C still made a grating sound as it scraped against its neighboring keys.

Ah. The sound of home.

I didn't have any music with me, so everything had to come from memory. I played a few worship songs, a handful of hymns. After I had exhausted all I had remembered, I tried to play a few classical songs.

I won't lie--it was rough. And the delight from the first hour of playing had turned into frustration. Then a voice came from the corner of the room:

"Stop thinking. Just play, Abby."

My grandfather, who can't hear very well, had been listening to me pound away at the piano.

Sheepishly, I let my fingers rest on the keys, as I tried to conjure up a song from the recesses of my mind. I took a deep breath and resolved to not think for the next few minutes. I closed my eyes and let my fingers fly over the keys. My fingers seemed to remember more than my mind did. I didn't have to look to see where my hands were--my fingers knew exactly where every key was, remembered how it felt. In fact, I made more mistakes when I opened my eyes or looked at my hands. The songs came out of nowhere, but it was still sweet.

It was better when I wasn't thinking.

It was beauty.

After I was done, I sat in awe. There is so much more to me than I let on. And I wondered what would happen if I did more things without thinking.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Not sure if you are looking for a comment here, but here it comes anyway. What I've noticed is that you seem to be stressed out and over think EVERYTHING.

I'm not saying you need to start making crazy decisions, but take some chances. Do stuff to make yourself happy. Find a piano on Craigslist or start saving for a trip to Scotland.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Lauren said...

Abby, I heart you. For so many reasons.

1. I want to hear you play, but preferably when you have no idea I'm listening. ;)

2. If you figure out how to do life without thinking, can you let a homie know? I suffer from the same disease of over-think-alitis. ;)

Abby said...

Bryan--I love you, friend. Thanks for your comment--they are always welcome. I've noticed those same things about myself, hence my frustration. But I will take your words to heart.

Scotland, here I come.

Lauren--Yeah...I'll give you a heads up if I ever figure it out. But maybe there are some things we aren't meant to figure out.