Sunday, February 8, 2009

Superficial Moment of the Morning

They say that if you pull out a gray hair, three more pop up in its place.

Several weeks ago, I pulled out a gray hair. This morning, when I was drying my hair, I pulled out another one. Upon closer inspection, I realized that I had pulled out three, all of which were sprouting from a single root.

Grr. Argh.

I know that I am not old, but that's why this is a superficial moment and not a contemplative one (for once!).

But since I am me, I couldn't stop thinking. Among the many strands of thought that plague my mind on a daily basis, one that has come up lately has to do with my Catholic background.

I have been in Tacoma for ten years. When I first moved out here for college, I vowed never to speak of what had happened at St. Stephen's. My story had not been well received the first time, why would the retelling produce different results? Since then, I have told bits and pieces to multiple people, in fear that the whole story would be ill-received.

I guess I am always looking for validation that I had made the right decision.

This thought started bothering me when Pastor Jon had stated that the most powerful tool is a story. And the most powerful story I can share is my own.

What happened at St. Stephen's doesn't define me, but it plays a large part of who I am, who I became, who I will become. How could I deny one of the biggest influences in how I came to know and love God?

I hope someday I can tell this story without reliving it. I'm working on it, not because I need to "get over it" but because God's glory is revealed in how he had moved in that part of my life. And my hiding of it is not exactly what God had intended.

I used to be Catholic and now I'm not. That's what I've got so far.

At least that's a start.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Ha! Only you could give a blog a superficial title and have it do a 180 into a very serious blog, nice try though! ; ) One, the three gray hairs thing is an old wives tale, I know cause I saw it on Oprah. Two, you have a beautiful story : )

Abby said...

I thought you, of all people, would appreciate how I start out saying one thing only to have it lead to another. :-D

One--Since you saw the tale on Oprah you calling Oprah an old wife?

Two--You do, too, my friend.

Unknown said...

When I first started to read your blog I thought, "I have to tell Abby about my grey hairs." I've had grey hairs on my head since the day I was born. Sometimes I worry that I'll wake up completely grey, like they were just waiting for the perfect moment to stage a complete takeover.

But then I read it all the way through and decided that I should also tell you that, though I've never heard your story, it must be beautiful. Abby is beautiful and the God I see in Abby is beautiful so I'm confident that the story He is writing in Abby's life is beautiful as well. I'll take whatever pieces you're willing to hand out.

Abby said...

Erin--Thank you for your encouragement. You are an amazing friend...and I am blessed to have you...impending grey hairs and all.