Sunday, February 22, 2009

Worth Waiting

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
--Paul, Galatians 6:9

Give me a sign. Let me know you're here. I won't give up if you won't give up.
--Train, Angels

I was reminded today that waiting for something good/different to happen doesn't mean I have to give up hope. I can hope in a good God that has a plan and a purpose for me. I can hope and be still and know God is God. I can hope and have joy even if my circumstances are hard and disappointing.

But in waiting and hoping, I can still be doing something great. I can still have purpose and significance and...dare I say it...fun. Life doesn't begin when everything is perfect. My worth is not based on a life that is perfect and without pain.

If we wait for the perfect conditions, we'll never get anything done.
--Writer of Ecclesiastes, Ecclesiastes 11:4 (paraphrase)

Holding on is hard. Enduring is difficult. Patience is...well, I have no good words for patience. Things take time.

Anything of true worth usually does.

Be joyful in hope. Patient in affliction. Faithful in prayer.
-Paul, Romans 12:12

This period of waiting doesn't have to include me standing outside and hoping something good will drop from the sky and make things better. I have to believe that I can make this hard and seemingly extensive season of waiting into something of worth. I would hate to think I did nothing while I was waiting.

I've already wasted too much time.

No comments: