Monday, February 9, 2009

Sending a Scotsman

Secret keepers need to laugh every once in awhile, too.

Every once in awhile, I can't stand music on the radio. To be exact, I can't stand popular songs on the radio. This happens when I my brain is full or when I had a long day. Usually in these moments where I feel like my brain is going to implode, I opt for classical music, particularly piano, strings, or both.

Beethoven was the original Emo-kid.

Tonight, on my way home from a very interesting time at my sister's, I was on a frantic search for something to ease my mind. As it was late, I couldn't have the radio off in fear that I would fall asleep. Lyrical music was not helping, and the soft-spoken DJs of the classical stations were trying to kill me with lullabies.

At some point, I came across a familiar accent.

I'm shameless, I know.

So, I listened to the preacher featured on Dr. Dobson's Focus on the Family radio program. And what was this Scotsman speaking on? Searching for a Godly Spouse.

I nearly died laughing. You've got to love Valentine's Week. Everything is about love, marriage, and the trials of singlehood.

At some point, Rev. Alistair Begg shared how he had wooed and finally won his wife. He had shared this personal story to illustrate that sometimes external physical beauty can't compete with a beautiful character.

It was a funny story, yet very beautiful. I love stories that a funny and beautiful. Most of the time, I find that the most beautiful stories are the funny ones.

And yes, I loved it more because of the Scots accent.

When I finally pulled into my apartment parking lot, tears were coming out of my eyes, I was laughing so hard. There were 10 minutes left of the lecture, so I stayed in my car and finished listening to the featured lecture.

I was glad I listened to the whole thing.
...never underestimate the power of the pen. And all those American Water-skiers bowed to the Scotman's pen...

...so girls, your beauty shouldn't come from time spent in front of the mirror, but rather time spent in front of the mirror of the Word of God. And men, the biggest thing you can bring to the possibilities of marriage is the character of integrity and a life of spiritual maturity.


--Rev. Alistair Begg, Search for a Godly Spouse

I don't know why I found the situation so funny, or maybe God knew that I just needed a laugh. But I'd like to think that God was trying to tell me something, and he knew that one way to get me to pay attention was to send someone with a Scots accent.

2 comments:

emmausmike said...

funny, weird but funny

Abby said...

Well...considering the kind of night I had Monday, everything was extra weird and extra funny to me!