Saturday, September 27, 2008

Red Shoes

I am on a mission.

In a random series of events, I've been thinking a lot about The Wizard of Oz. It was my favorite movie growing up, and I have this vague memory of waking up and immediately asking my grandparents to put the videotape in the VCR.

I own that tape to this day, complete with the CBS logo and the commercials of a time long gone by. (Ask me about the McDonalds ad. Sigh. I don't miss the jingle at all.) I have long debated purchasing the DVD version that would fully capture and preserve the movie in all its Technicolor beauty. I'm afraid it just won't be the same without the commercial interruptions.

Also, growing up, I wanted to be Dorothy. From the curly hair, to the blue dress with a bow in the back, and of course, the ruby slippers--I wanted to be her.

Of course, my dreams were dashed when someone in school told me that I could never be Dorothy because my skin color didn't quite match.

Silly Kindergartners.

Which brings me back to my mission. I won't buy the blue dress, but I am going to find a pair of red shoes. I don't think I have ever bought a pair of shoes that wasn't black or brown. But I will get some color in my life. I will own that pair of red shoes.

Gotta love the silliness. Thanks for indulging me!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Seriously, I just bought some red patent wedges at Freddy's this past week. I thought of you when I bought them. They were on sale too. You should go check there.

Abby said...

I will! Thanks for the tip!

Sara Sandefur said...

I saw a some beautiful pairs of red shoes at Nordstrom tonight - none that I could afford, however. :-(
But I'm with you - I wish I was looking for snappy red shoes instead of frumpy white clogs for work!

Unknown said...

The Wizard of Oz was my very favorite movie growing up. In black and white! Wow, that was awhile back. The only time I was ever allowed to eat in the living room was while watching it, because it came on once a year in the evening. Those flying monkeys scared the beejeebers out of me.
Hey, you would rock in a pair of red shoes!